You Lost Your EIN- Now What?
Posted on November 13, 2020

“How do I live without you? I want to know. How do I breathe without you? If you ever go.” -LeAnn Rimes

Your federal employer identification number (EIN) is gone and you have know idea what the number is or where to find it!

As a business you need that number to hire employees, open a bank account or line of credit, change legal character or ownership of your business, or complete a W-9 as a subcontractor.

You can contact the IRS to request a copy of the EIN confirmation letter.
Call their Business & Specialty Tax line at 1-800-829-4933 between 7 am and 7 pm. You will request a 147c letter when you speak with an agent on the phone. It is free to request a letter. The IRS will either mail or fax it to you.

Only the owner of the business or someone with a Power of Attorney (POA) can request this letter. Here is more information from the IRS website:

Your business can not function at its best without the EIN…what kind of life would that be?

Photo cred to Suzannah Farr in Greenville, SC